Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Boston

Yesterday, it was a week since the bombings at the Marathon. My husband and I have gone to the Boston Marathon for years, and then we had kids and haven't gone since.  Our favorite spot to stand and watch and cheer on the runners was just as the runners come out of the bridge on Comm Ave.  After the elite runners come by, we would wander over to the finish line on Boylston St.  This year the kids are 4 and 5 and as we were watching the marathon on TV we talked about when we could go back in to Boston and watch.  I actually had mentioned going in to Boston later in the afternoon and just hang around with the kids.  We ended up watching it on TV and hanging out at home.  Later that afternoon, I got an alert on my phone about an explosion in Boston.  I didn't think anything of it thinking it was something little, not realizing that the explosion was actually 2 homemade bombs that had exploded near the finish line.

Once I realized that it was actually a bombing and not an accidental explosion, my husband and I were glued to the TV.  As the week went on and we got more info, it became more and more emotional for me.  Anytime I heard something or saw something on the TV, I would cry.  I would think about how we always went to the marathon and how we were always in that area at the times the bombs went off. I would think about how I wanted to head into Boston later the day the bombs exploded and how horrible it could have been.  I would think about the people who died because of the crazy people who put bombs at this wonderful international event.  I would think about the injured and those that either ran the race or were spectators at the race and how this would affect them for the rest of their life.

Then Friday, when Boston and the surrounding towns were under lockdown as officials we after the two suspected bombers, I was an emotional wreck again.  When they spoke about how young the bombers were, I couldn't help wondering what made these kids do something so horrible.  How does the 19 year old, who had others say nothing but positive things about him, change to the point that he was able to carryout these horrific acts of terror?  I am always intrigued by what makes people do the things they do.  This does not mean that I even remotely think that there is an excuse for the horrific act these 2 people carried out.  I believe that the 19 year old (the 26 year old died during the chase) should be punished to the fullest extent possible.  There is no excuse for what they did no matter what the reason.  It is completely crazy and sick that people can do something like that to others.

Yesterday,  1 week after the bombing, I found out I knew the person that was holding the 8 year old boy that died.  I felt horrible that this person I knew had to lie with this experience.  She is a nurse that was helping out at the medical tent for the runners and she ends up trying to save this little boys life, only to have him die in her arms.  This is something that would be hard for even the strongest person to handle emotionally, but she is not.  I can't imagine how horrible this must be for her.  I am crazy emotional even now, and I wasn't even there!

I hope that our country never has to go through another horrific thing like this.  If there was one positive, it is how our community came together came together and helped out, either by helping the wounded, giving blood, donating money, doing fundraisers, and just banding together for support.  We are Boston strong!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment