Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sleeping through the night

What is the definition of insanity?  To keep doing the same thing and expect different results!

I think I've reached my breaking point with sleep.  The twins seem to be doing ok, though we still need to be consistent with how we deal with sleep with both the twins and Michael, but it seems like the twins will be easier.  Michael, on the other hand, I think, is going to be a difficult venture.  Last night we absolutely started the CIO method for going to sleep.  It took him over an hour to go to sleep.  This is the longest time that it has taken him to fall asleep.  Usually, he will fall asleep easily but then wake after only a couple of hours.

Last night, it was tough going to sleep and staying asleep.  I have resisted the CIO method for sleep training, but I think it is time to do it.  After just a couple of hours of finally going to sleep, Michael woke screaming.  We let him scream for probably an hour and then I broke down and got him up.  I rocked him in his room and he was fine as long as he was in the position that he wanted to be in.  If I changed his position when I got uncomfortable, he cried and screamed.  At that point I decided that he needed to go back in his crib and go to sleep on his own.  It took awhile (can't remember how long), but he finally went to sleep and I had to wake him this morning!  The twins on the other hand slept through the night til 6:30 this morning.  If I remember right, there was a little crying but not enough to make me uncomfortable.

As much as I have resisted this, I am going to continue to do the CIO method (not that I was totally successful in starting last night, but I kind of started), since what was working is no longer working.  Tonight, all 3 kids will go to bed on schedule and will  start to learn to sooth themselves back to sleep.  As long as all their needs have been met, I should learn not to feel guilty about letting them cry themselves back to sleep, right?

Amy

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely. You'll all be much better off when you're all getting a good night's sleep. Good luck! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete