Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Potty Training Update

After having wirtten my last post and after getting a couple of answers to my potty training questions via my twins group, I have decided that we we muster on.  We are not at the point of the kids telling us that they have to go to the potty, but they will and want to use the potty.  They still ahve accident, but some days are better than otehrs and some moments are better than others! 

My husband and I are on the same page.  We have decided that they will be in underwear pretty much eery day.  We are going to stop giving rewards for going on the potty, because they pretty much have no problem sitting on the potty and actually going.  Where they have the issues is not always staying dry.  I started thinking that we needed to start rewarding for the behavior we wanted not the behavior that we already had.  I wasn't sure if it would work, but I thought about rewarding for actual dry diapers.  I got some positive feedback on this and we are starting this process.  We are also stepping up how often we offer the potty.  Michael's teacher said that he is on the cusp of being ready.  He will always go on the potty, but will not tell them that he needs to go.  I needed to get more diapers for school so I decided to buy pull ups.  They're much more expensive and I know some people disagree with their use, but I think in this instance, it is worth it.  Michael will go to school in either a diaper (since I still have some left) or in pull ups which I am hoping will help make it easier for him to be trained while at school.  The one comment I got also suggested to put them in underwear and if they have an accident to put them in a diaper and continue to bring them to the potty.  They will also be going to be in a diaper at this point.  I have a feeling this is not going to be a quick and easy process like for some kids, but they are definitely interested in going on the potty and I really want to encourage that as much as I can!  I am totally in this for the long haul and feel much more comfortable continuing moving forward after getting some advice from other moms.

On another note, we have had the twins re-evaluated for early intervention.  Thomas was not screened in, but Eva Rose was.  What is so interesting about this is that I always thought that Thomas was going to be the one who was behind, but it seems like Eva Rose and Michael are the ones behind.  Michael is doing well in school.  He is able to sing the tune of twinkle twinkle with some words thrown in, and also able to go through the book Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See, and you can actually understand him reading the book.  At this point, I'm sure it is more him memorizing the words, but he is right about the colors and the animals.  My goal is to record him singing the book.  Once I have it recorded, I will make sure to post to this blog!

Amy

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a good plan for moving forward with potty training. I hope you start seeing some improvements soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job! i recently potty-trained my 34 months old twin boys. my method was "cold turkey", as in no pull-ups or diapers at all during the day. the training took only about 2 days for one child and maybe 6 days for the other. we still have ocassional #2 accidents but they are trained..even naptime (where they sleep 2 hours or so), they are in their undies and stay dry. my twins are not in school yet so i cannot comment on what i might do if they were, but..the twins will be starting preschool in september and i will not take pull-ups. i think that going back and forth might confuse them...perhaps you could try just underwear with your son, too? just so that there are no mixed messages?
    there is more than one way to do this for sure and you know best for your children...but just a thought...

    ReplyDelete