We have been trying to figure out when and if an early intervention referral needs to be made for any of the kids. At this point the only issue that we are concerned about is speech. None of the kids seem to speak at an early age and since my husband and my little sister started speaking at closer to 2 1/2 and 3, we weren't that concerned. Now that Michael is nearing the 2 1/2 age and is speaking more, but only still saying 1 word at a time, we decided that it would be important to have him evaluated and at the same time have the twins evaluated since they really aren't talking either. I know a ton of people in my twins group have had EI for quite some time and for all sorts of developmental delays and they have, for the most, part been really satisfied with the service and felt that their kids really benefitted. Today, I made the referral to our local EI office and will here back from them in 7-10 day regarding an evaluation.
At this point I think things are fine with all 3 kids, just a slight delay in their speech. I have to admit though, I am a little worried that they will find out that there is something more to be concerned with. If there is, I know that it is better to know now and get the assistance that is needed, but it is a little scary to think that maybe there is more to the delay than just late speech. I am also feeling a little guilty since another twin mom pointed out that kids are finished with EI at 3. That means that Michael will be in it for all of 6 months if he is found eligible. I'm sure that there is follow up after EI, I just don't know what.
There are all sorts of questions that I have regarding EI. I am hoping that my twins group will be a great resource for all of my questions. I definitely tend to think about the worst possible outcome, I just try not to obsess about it! I'm sure that I will find support in my twins group for this, as they have been really helpful in the past for me and for others with questions regarding many topics.
Right now, we are just waiting to schedule an evaluation for all 3 kids. I am going to just wait for that and not think about the worst outcome of the eval. I will just wait and see where it brings us!