Friday, March 12, 2010

Getting Crafty

For years before I had kids, and pretty much all while growing up (except for my teen years) I was pretty into arts and crafts.  Before I had kids, my favorite stores to go into were AC Moore and Michaels.  I loved to learn new crafts and if you saw all my craft supplies and most of my books, you'd think I owned a store.  Now that I have kids, I don't have any where near the time or the energy to work on the multiple unfinished projects that I have already started.  I have the desire to work on things, but just can't seem to get myself moving to create.  I'm sure that once the kids get older, I will get back into being the creative person that I love to be.  Because I love to be creative, I use any excuse to do so.  Since I often have to send out cards, usually thank you's, I try to make them myself.  It's a good excuse to make sure that I do something I love an d not put it off.

Now that my son is 2 and the twins are 13.5 months, I am starting to think about getting the kiddos involved in arts and crafts projects.  I am trying to find something that i think is age appropriate, but I'm just not sure where to begin.  I know that the twins are probably a little young, but I would love to find something that would get the ball rolling.  I know that Michael could do a few things and I would love to put together a craft kit for kids.

Given that I love crafting and doing anything creative and that my husband is a shop teacher/woodworker, I really hope that our kids have an interest in doing something creative.  I would love to start offering things to them and expose them to creativity at a young age.  So, any of my readers, if you have any suggestions, please let me know.  If and when I get things rolling I will be sure to post what we are doing and how it is going!

Amy

1 comment:

  1. There's an art studio for kids in Cambridge that you might like to try out (http://muckykids.com/). They have classes and open studio time. It might be a bit expensive for all 3 to go regularly, but perhaps if you just went to the open studio once or twice, you could get a feel for what the kids can do and what they enjoy, and then you could begin to put together projects for them at home. Good luck! I can't wait to hear what you start with!

    ReplyDelete