Sunday, February 5, 2012

Healthier Me

I've been joining in with another twin mom to challenge myself to get healthier. The first two weeks were rough, but I think I'm on my way way, at least with the exercising. The first week. My daughter was sick and then I got sick the second week. Finally, the third week, I am feeling more myself and was able to do 90 minutes of running/walking. I am down about 5 pounds and weigh less than I did when I got married and pregnant with Michael. Now I need to start doing some strength training and getting my food intake under control. Some days, I think that I want to run/walk more than every other day. I've been doing great drinking my green smoothies. I'd love to do a couple of days of detox smoothies just to see how I feel. I really need to cut out sugar, carbs, and fat, and even coffee.

Given the fact that I have decided not to pursue surgery for my BRCA2 gene positive status, it's really important to me to change my lifestyle. I need to continue to exercise, eat better, and deal with stress better. I realize that just because I have the gene, it does not mean that I will get cancer, but given that my great grandmother, my grandmother (who died of breast cancer), and my mom have all had cancer and my mom is also positive for BRCA2 gene,my chances of not getting cancer seem slim. I really need to do all I can to be healthy so that even if I do get cancer, my body is strong.

I really need to stop drinking coffee. I have switched to decaf, but I really want off coffee all together. I just bought some new tea. I have been trying to go from coffee to tea. Part of the issue is that I really like going for a ride with the kids and getting a cup of coffee. I think that I just need to let go of buying the coffee and bring my tea.

The other thing I am doing to get healthy is to get a little more organized and be better at cleaning my house. It will be an ongoing project, but one that I really need to keep working on. Some days, I think that I have some form of ADD, but hen other times I think I just need to be better organized and everything will be fine. I feel like if I get better organized, my stress levels will be better. Overall, if my stress levels are better, I will be better.

It slow going, but I feel like I am my way to doing what I need to do. I'm really glad I joined in with this challenge!

Amy

4 comments:

  1. Out of curiosity, why are you giving up coffee? What benefit do you hope to achieve? This is not a judgement, I'm genuinely curious.

    Thanks,
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda,

      First, I'm trying to get caffeine out of my system (which I have pretty much taken care of at this point), I also like it with cream and cream just isn't good for me from a digestive standpoint and fat/calorie intake, and I'm also trying to be healthier by eating less acidic type foods. I am having trouble giving up coffee, but at least I have given up the caffeine at this point. I also recently tested positive for the breast cancer gene and am hoping to have a better diet since I am leaning strongly against having surgery. I don't know if it will help, but those are at least a partial list of my reasons (the ones that I can think of right now). Any thoughts?

      Amy

      Delete
  2. Amy, no thoughts for you. Obviously, you need to do what's best for you. For me, I'll happily keep drinking my 1 cup each morning, but I don't have dairy issues and caffeine doesn't bother me. I've read a few correlations that conclude regularly coffee drinking can reduce the chance of stroke and a few other health benefits that line up with my family health history. So for me, the drawbacks/benefits sort of cancel each other. :)

    My mother in law had breast cancer as did her mother. She is positive for the BRCA mutation. I'd like my husband to get tested so we know if our daughters are at risk but we have some concerns about health insurance issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had similar concerns when I got tested, but was told that future health insurance wouldn't be an issue. Life insurance on the other hand is an issue. My mom had breast cancer, her mother, and her grandmother as well as her mother's twin sister. We weren't surprised to find out that my mom had the gene. So far I'm the only one out of my sisters who has tested. One of my sisters (I have 3) has at least met with someone about testing. You could always have your husband meet with a genetic counselor and you can discuss your concerns. I'm not sure what your concerns are.

      Delete