Monday, September 20, 2010

Early Intervention

We finally have all 3 kids signed up for early intervention and their individual sessions start this week.  Michael starts tomorrow and the twins start on Thursday.  We have been going to group for 2 weeks so far and as great as I think it is, I'm not sure that they are getting anything out of it yet.  It is interesting to watch my 3 interact or not interact with the other kids in the group.  I really feel like my kids need to have more interaction with other kids so that they start to learn social skills. 

I am really looking forward to having the individual sessions start.  I have noticed a big difference with the twins and their immitating skills and Michael has gotten better, but not the the extent that the twins have.  I have hearing test scheduled for all 3 kids and Michael goes this week.  It should be interesting to find out if there is an issue with his hearing that has made him delayed in speech or if it is something else.  I am hoping that he is jsut developing on his own time and that there is not more going on with him or the twins.  I am a little nervous taking Michael for his hearing test, not knowing what to expect.  I may put a message out to the twins group to see if anyone has had experience with hearing tests at this age and what I should be expecting from the visits for the 3 kids.

It's amazing how I was looking for things to do with the kids and now that early intervention is involved 3 of 5 week days, the kids have some sort of intervention happening.  At least Tuesday and Friday are early days, but Thursday is right in the middle so that only leaves the morning to really do anything on that day.  Now that I am working, it makes it a little more difficult, but not impossible and at least I know that we have things going on 3 days a week.  And the best part is that the kids will hopefully start talking more soon.  From what I hear, it happens quickly and EI works wonders.  hopefully it will help with their socialization skills as well as their speech skills.

Amy

2 comments:

  1. EI was really good for us; however, it took Burke a WHILE to open up with our workers enough to actually have it seem like they were helping. (I think he was paying attention, because at one point, it seemed like his speech just exploded...but it did take a little while).

    We JUST finished with EI last month...all of my kids are too old now! And while I miss it, there's also a part of me that is happy we have some of that time back ;)

    We went through the hearing tests. I think someone mentioned to have two adults if you're bringing more than one kid...And I agree - you'll be holding the one who is getting tested on your lap while s/he's wearing the headphones, so it'd be impossible to watch the other kid(s). And bring lots of snacks! I remember for one of the tests there was a HUGE waiting time...if the kid is too hungry to sit and pay attention, the test won't really work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little sad when Buba tested out of EI over the summer, but not having EI has opened up our schedule a ton. I'm completely grateful for everything they did to help him progress in speech and gross and fine motor skills, but it's been so nice to have some of that time back to schedule as we please.

    I hope things are going well in the individual sessions and that the hearing tests go well.

    ReplyDelete