Friday, January 14, 2011

Children Teach Us

I think my children are here to teach me to slow down and not to expect things to happen on certain time frames.  They are here to teach me patience and I'm sure much more.

One of my recent posts was about starting to potty train Michael.  This has not gone well at all and I was starting to feel like I was doing something wrong because I couldn't get him to pee on the potty.  I posted a question to my twins group and so did another mom.  Most people responded that kids will train when they are ready not on your time line.  That made me stop and think about my life.  I need to stop and slow down and not expect that everything happens when I want it to happen, but when it's meant to happen.  My kids walked when they were ready, they are talking on their time frame, they will be out of diapers when they are ready.  Life takes time and I need to be patient and let it  happen

I can't wait to see what else my kids will teach me as life goes on!

Amy

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if you're like me (a complete control freak), but I've learned a lot of lessons like that over the past 2 years. It's been so hard to let go some days, but I just have to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me. They will potty train when they are ready. It was actually easier to potty train The Monkey than it was for The Boy. One day (she was just 2) she decided that she didn't want to wear diapers anymore and that was it. I think she had maybe 3 accidents. The Boy. Well... He was harder. He was 3 when he started in "big boy undies" and pretty close to 4 when he was completely accident free...

    What I did with The Monkey was in the warmer weather I would let her run through the house diaper less and I had a potty chair in the main area of the house (good thing too was no carpets in the house). I explained to her what the chair was for and would ask her every so often if she needed to go. She played with it some times (the chair) and she eventually started using it on her own.
    I think with the Boy the issue was he was the first and I expected that it would "go by the book" and I think I tried to rush it. Finally I had to back off and let him lead.

    Let them lead and don't be surprised if one trains quicker and easier than the others.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that the potty training didn't go well. As the others have said, they'll all get there eventually. :o)

    ReplyDelete