Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Post About Me

I usually reserve this blog to write about my kids, but today I'm going to write about me.  Just because!

I am someone who has always loved to be creative.  I gave it up when I became a teenager.  I was already not one of the popular kids in school and back in the 80's knitting and sewing were not the popular thing to do, not like it is now.  I guess it's probably not a totally popular thing to do, but the whole hand crafted arena is so much more popular with teens than it was back then.  After college I decided that I was going to start being creative again, and since then, I have not stopped enjoying anything hand crafted.  I love craft fairs.  I love craft shows.  And, I love actually hand crafting things myself.  At this time in my life I am interested in so many different crafts; everything from knitting, scrapbooking, jewelry making, and sewing to even wood working.  My biggest challenge right now is time!

One thing that would help, would be to have a designated area to work and keep out everything that I needed to work on a project instead of always having to put everything away even if I'm in the middle of completing a project.  I do have an area that I could do this, but we have a house guest that has been here much longer than I had planned (yes this is also a post for me to piss and moan about having my brother in law stay with us).  We are a family of 5 and live in a small 5 room ranch.  It works for us, but having another adult for 8 months in our basement is totally cramping my style.  I have all of my craft supplies in the basement and could actually organize it so that if I were working on a project, I could keep things set up so that if I found a small chunk of time, I could go and utilize it to my best way possible.  Unfortunately, the basement is where our guest is sleeping.  He will supposedly be moving out the end of this month, but I am not holding my breath.  I would love to have a space to work.  I would love to try to organize what little space I have so that I have a workable area that I can leave up that project that isn't quite finished so that I don't have to take up time setting up and cleaning up!

Last of the bitch session and on to more positive ideas.  My friend over at http://www.goddessinprogressblog.com/quilts seems to post a bunch of fun tutorials (Thanks Liz).  I have printed out a few that I want to work on.  My 3 kids all have birthdays coming up.  The twins turn 3 January 23rd and then Michael turns 4 March 8th.  There are a bunch of things that I want to work on for their birthdays.  I also have project that I want to work on for my husband.  Since we didn't exchange gifts this year and I didn't get a chance to finish something else and since he has a new tea cup, I am planning on making him a travel mug cozy with lectures of the kids on it.  I am hoping that I can make it work out the way I want it to.  I love blogs and I love crafts so craft blogs with tutorials are my favorite.  I can't wait to start working on some of these projects and hopefully, next month I can start working on organizing a craft space of my own!

And now for some simple New Year's Goals


  1. Eat more healthy-cook more from scratch
  2. Exercise more-get off my but and move damn it!
  3. Organize my house-get rid of clutter, make sure that everything has a place to return to.
  4. Be more involved with the kids-Now that the kids are more preschooler, I need to start doing more organized play with them.  For now we have been just going with the flow (may be an excuse but finally having 3 kids so close in age is fun and not as difficult, even though it is still OMG so difficult) 
  5. Create more-Make time to create.  Try to find a way to keep projects out until they are finished or choose projects that are easy to complete and don't take too much time instead of having to set up and take down everything each time for the same project!
  6. Spend time learning more about the things I love- I need to learn more about gardening, herbs, art therapy (which will hopefully help me in my career someday), and many other things that I am interested in instead of just having limited knowledge of it.
Those are my simple goals.  There is much more work that needs to go into them, but for now that is all I need to post.

Here are a couple of picture of the kids!
Juice Break at Drumlin Farm 11/30/2011

Stone Zoo 12/1/2011

Santa at the Enchanted Village 12/4/2011


Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment